Reference librarian, academic librarian, seeking Masters in Library Science, book experience, bookstore manager, avid reader, computer skills, website design.
|Reference Librarian, UAHuntsville
- Answering patron questions (in-person, e-mail, and phone).
- Virtual Reference work through an "Ask a Librarian" system.
- Reference and basic library services through the phone for a distance learning program (Kaplan and others).
- Working with Ebscohost, Proquest, AIAA, H.W. Wilson, Web of Science, WorldCat, and other databases and database frontends.
- Fulfilling research needs for students and faculty, as well as helping them to find and evaluate sources: journals, articles, websites, monographs, essays, and so forth.
- Assisting with basic computer technical queries (printing, connecting to Internet, various application usage).
- Helping with basic instruction on paper writing and proper research methods.
- Designing and maintaining online database front-end for UAH library website through LibGuides system.
|Keyholder/Senior Bookseller, Waldenbooks/Borders
- Customer service and point-of-sales work.
- Shelving, inventory, and stocking.
||Manager and Webmaster, Book Gallery
- Organizing and ordering of stock.
- Planning layouts and displays.
- Organizing store events, book fairs, and charity programs.
- Scheduling, deposits, and payroll.
- Managing up to six employees (including holiday season).
- Hiring and training new employees.
- Designing website and online database for entire chain.
- Programming scripts for backend of website (Python, mostly).
- Training others in how to run website.
- Beginning steps in expanding store to larger location.
||University of Alabama, Masters of Library and Information Science
- Mixture of online and in-person classes
- Current GPA: 4.0
- Started Spring 2009. Expected finish is Spring 2011.
- Focus on Academic, Reference, and Digital topics.
- Significant classes include: "Programming for Digital Libraries", "Reference", and "Services and Materials for Young Adults".
||University of Alabama in Huntsville, Bachelor of Arts
- Philosophy and Astrophysics
- Focus on epistemology and philosophy of science
- Graduated Spring 2004
- Honor's Program Graduate
- Honor Theses: "The Philosophy of Responsibility" and "Event Distance".
- GPA: 3.4
- One year as Resident Advisor.
- As physics student, did practical work on X-ray astronomy and ROSAT data.
- Webmaster and active member in 13th Muse Poetry Society.
||Hillcrest High School (Evergreen, AL), Advanced Diploma
- Graduated Saludictorian (GPA: 93)
- Student library worker for one year.
- Beta Club member.
- Received numerous academic achievement awards.
- Scholar's Bowl participant.
- Comparative bibliometrics between digitial and physical formats of information.
- Impact of social media on books.
- Impact of social media on information.
- Copyright and related systems (Creative Commons, for instance).
- Digital Rights Management (DRM): user's and owner's rights.
- Encryption and other security measures.
- basic computer and computer-assisted research literacy and instruction.
Ebscohost, Proquest, LexisNexis, Google Scholar, PubMed, Web of Science, DIALOG, and others similar, various OPACs, basic Internet searches (Google, Wikipedia, etc), and numerous archive search systems.
Python, Java, Perl, C++.
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint, Access), OpenOffice, numerous e-mail and Internet applications (all standard browsers as well as several text-only systems), Workflows, Ingram Companion/Flashback, Vim/VI. Also have experience with a number of open-source applications such as GIMP, Scribus, and Tellico.
Amazon Kindle, primarily, but also eReader and Adobe applications (on other, more general, devices) and the Sony reader. Have worked with, read, created, and/or otherwise studied the following formats to some depth: EPub, AZW/TPZ, PDF, PDB, TXT, HTML/CSS, and several standard "word processor" formats.
HTML, CSS, Apache webserver (Sample: Wyrmis.com), Libguides (Sample: UAH Databases, MediaWiki (Sample: WyrmisWiki). Experience with creating 301 style short URL redirect via Apache's .htaccess files (for instance, http://url.wyrmis.com/1s redirects back to this resume).
- Maintaining a Blog, including backend and scripts to run it (Dickens of a Blog)
- Facebook, Myspace, Orkut.
- Maintaining a Wiki and instructing others on use. Originally created to help a long distance class group project keep up with collaborative data (data from that project now removed due to nature of information).
Linux (both Debian derived systems like Ubuntu and Knoppix and RPM derived systems like Mandriva and Red Hat), MacOSX (Snow Leopard and Leopard), Free-/BSD, and Windows Vista/XP/2000/98/NT/95.
|Other Devices and Skills:
Several point-of-sale systems, basic office equipment (copier, fax, printer, multi-line telephones), microfilm/fiche readers, projectors of several sorts, and scanners. Typing speed of 80wpm.
WRITING SAMPLES AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION